1/1 Photo of Romantic Chicken Scallopine With Saffron Cream Sauce
This is a recipe of Giada De Laurentiis's from Foodnetwork.com (but I lessened the salt, added flour, upped the garlic, and added a sauce-thickening tip). It seems like it would be super hard, but it is really not that difficult. The first time I made it was for my husband on Valentine's Day. I had never cooked with several of the ingredients before, and except accidentally buying chicken tenders instead of chicken cutlets, it turned out just lovely. :) I also found saffron threads the cheapest at Whole Foods, almost $7.00 less expensive than the next cheapest place! I served this over angel hair pasta with green beans and garlic breadsticks, and we had Dark Chocolate Souffle for dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken cutlet
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- flour (for coating the chicken)
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- 2Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper, and coat each side with flour (shaking off any excess).
- 3Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to serving plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- 4Turn the heat to medium, add the shallots and the garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- 5Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine is almost evaporated.
- 6Add the chicken broth and saffron threads, bring to a simmer (keeping the heat of the pan at medium) and reduce for 10 minutes. Add the cream, salt, and pepper.
- 7Stir to combine and simmer for 1 minute to blend the flavors (or let it simmer longer to reduce further). If you want an even thicker sauce, you can mix 1 Tablespoon cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon water, and add it to the pan.
- 8Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- 9Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Romantic Chicken Scallopine With Saffron Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.8
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 113.4 mg
- Sodium 576.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 27.2 g