1 hr 5 mins
If you like stuffed artichokes, you'll love this delicious and easy way to serve them without all the work! Frozen hearts are SO much better than canned! When Martha Stewart Living editors were asked to choose their favorite holiday side dish from childhood, this was Lucinda Scala Quinn's first choice and her family's most sought after leftover. It came from her mother Rose, who got tired of stuffing all those artichokes for a crowd. Use crusty bread with texture for the breadcrumbs and cover the baking dish with parchment paper before wrapping with foil. They were prepared in 2 smaller baking dishes for photos only. Also, you could cut the artichokes smaller and serve as appetizers. So good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (Italian or French bread, crusts included)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 ounces pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (or mixed dried herbs like thyme, oregano, savory, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 (9 ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, more to oil the baking dish
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Combine breadcrumbs, parsley, cheeses, herbs and salt in a medium bowl, and season with pepper.
- 2Brush oil inside a 9x13" baking dish or long, shallow casserole. Spread artichoke hearts in a single layer in the dish. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over artichokes, pushing it into cracks between hearts. Tap the bottom of the dish on the counter to settle the breadcrumb mixture.
- 3Whisk oil, lemon zest and juice, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle dressing evenly over breadcrumb topping. Cover dish with parchment paper, then tightly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- 4Increase temperature to 375 degrees F. Uncover dish, and bake until breadcrumbs are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rose's Baked Artichoke Hearts
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.3
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.6 mg
- Sodium 678.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: