1/2 Photos of Rotoli Di Pasta or Pasta Rolls
2 hrs 20 mins
Sherri at the Beach's Note:
Many years ago my sister and I visited Italy and spent some time with the family of a foreign exchange student Alberto who lived with my family for a year. His mother would go every day to the market to purchase fresh items and one day she made this dish for us. You must make the pasta from scratch as it isn't available commercially. Basically make a big sheet, cover it spinach and cheese, roll it up, boil, slice and serve. Beautiful to look at.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute the spinach until wilted. Cool then chop. Mix with the cheeses and nutmeg.
- 2Pour the flour on the counter and make a well. Mix the eggs in a bowl to break the yolks then pour into flour well. Pulling from the sides of flour, keep incorporating flour into the eggs until all flour is used up. Sprinkle with flour and knead dough until smooth and not sticky.
- 3Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest 30 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin into a rectangle until it is roughly 1/8 inch thick of less. This takes some elbow grease.
- 4Spread the spinach mixture evenly across the surface, leaving a one inch border on one side. Roll the pasta up from the side opposite the border to form a roll. Wrap with doubled cheesecloth and secure both ends and middle with string. Boil in salty like the sea water for 25 minutes.
- 5Remove from pan and allow to rest, wrapped, 20 minutes. Remove cheesecloth and slice into one inch pinwheels.
- 6To serve, ladle some sauce on a plate and serve to 'wheel's per person.
- 7Notes: I have made this with Swiss Chard which is also delicious. I serve this as a side dish to chicken parmesan and green salad. Also good with fresh sage added to the cheese mixture.
- 8Goes best with a light red dinner wine or a rose.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rotoli Di Pasta or Pasta Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 690.2
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 190.4 mg
- Sodium 1152.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 36.6 g