1/15 Photos of Sandra's Chicken Parmigiana
Leggy Peggy's Note:
I'm posting this recipe on Australia Day 2007 as a tribute to an Australian friend, Sandra Woodhouse. She gave me this recipe in 1981—not long after I married an Australian. Don't let the number of ingredients or steps deter you. This is really easy. Sandra would have loved Recipezaar, but she died too young—and before she 'found' it. She lived in the USA for three or four years and thoroughly enjoyed it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (puree, or Italian tomatoes, which you should then crush)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or more)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced thin and cut into triangles
- 1Flatten the chicken breasts with a mallet.
- 2Then start to heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- 3While the oil is heating, combine the eggs, salt and pepper.
- 4Dip the breasts into the egg mixture, and then into breadcrumbs.
- 5About now, start to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 6When the oil is hot, brown breasts on both sides, then drain them on paper towels.
- 7Transfer breasts to a baking dish that will hold them all in one layer.
- 8Drain all but 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil from frypan.
- 9In the frypan, saute garlic for 1 minute, then add tomato sauce (puree) and basil, and bring to a boil.
- 10Turn down and simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in butter.
- 11Pour tomato mixture over chicken breasts, and sprinkle with parmesan.
- 12Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 13Uncover and put mozzarella slices neatly over chicken pieces.
- 14Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- 15Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sandra's Chicken Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.9
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 179.8 mg
- Sodium 1403.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 41.5 g