This is a slightly sweet and savory pasta dish- got it from a friend's italian pasta cookbook. Lots of pretty colors, unusual but delicious taste!
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb sweet ground sausage (i use jimmy dean's maple)
- 1 lb spinach
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese, on top
- Cook pasta according to directions on box.
- Cook oil and garlic until browned. Add sausage, brown, push to side of pan. Add spinach, cook until wilted. Add remaining ingredients and saute (about 15 minutes).
- Serve topped w/ parmesan cheese.
My husband and 3 year old really enjoyed this. It was very easy to make and took very little time. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I made a few changes to the recipe based on what I had on hand: I used spicy sausage, rigatoni, sundried tomatos in olive oil with italian herbs, and a bit extra fresh basil. Since I used spicy sausage instead of sweet, I left out the red pepper flakes and hot sauce. Once I combined all of the ingredients, I allowed the mixture to reduce for about 10-15 minutes so that the consistency would be thicker and coate the rigatoni better. Thanks for a great recipe!