Izzy Knight's Note:
An aromatic traditional Italian soup, flagrant with fresh herbs, clams, shrimps, and sea bass. An out-of-the-world comfort food without the packing calorie. *recipe revised from foodtv.ca
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 stalks celery & leaves, cleaned chopped in to 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 small spring onions, with green tops white and green part sliced 1/4 i thick
- 2 sprigs marjoram
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 24 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 pepperoncini peppers, cut in half
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes, lightly crush with your hands
- 3/4 lb cuttlefish, cleaned and sliced 1 inch thick
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 2 (1 3/4 lb) sea bass or 2 (1 3/4 lb) striped bass, head and tail on,gutted and scaled,cut in half across the mid section
- 12 mussels, scrubbed
- 6 razor clams
- 6 large shrimp, head on
- 1/2 lb squid, cleaned and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1In a large stock pot over medium high heat add olive oil, celery, spring onion, marjoram, parsley, thyme, and garlic sauti until onions begin to become transparent about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the vinegar, cherry tomatoes, peperoncino, canned whole tomato, cuttlefish and wine.
- 3Allow to come up to a simmer and then cook for 10 minutes.
- 4Add the Bass by placing on top of the broth and very gently pushing the fish down.
- 5Allow to cook 5 minutes.
- 6Add the mussels, razor clams, shrimp, and squid by placing on top of broth and fish gently pushing down with a large ladle and basting the shell fish with the hot broth.
- 7Cover stockpot with a lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until mussels and clams are all open and shrimp and squid are cooked through.
- 8Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Carefully remove to serving platter and sprinkle parsley on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savoury Italian Fish Soup (Brodetto)
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 605.3
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 281.0 mg
- Sodium 953.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 72.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: