2 hrs 30 mins
"Ginger adds a distinctive flavor to this roast chicken. The history of ginger in Jewish cooking began when it arrived in Italy with Sephardic Jewish emigrants from North Africa around 200 B.C." From a Shop Rite calendar for Passover. I would season chicken with garlic powder as well as salt and pepper but the recipe doesn't call for garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Grate zest from 1 orange and from only 1 of the lemons and reserve it.
- 4Cut the zested lemon into quarters and rub the outside of the chicken with the lemon quarters and discard them.
- 5Cut the zested orange into quarters and also cut the other lemon into quarters and reserve them.
- 6In a small bowl, stir together lemon and orange zests and 1 tablespoons of the grated ginger and rub this mixture evenly inside cavity of the chicken.
- 7Put the orange and remaining lemon quarters inside body and neck of the chicken and season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- 8Place the chicken on a rack set in a shallow roasting pan.
- 9In a small bowl stir together margarine or oil, citrus juices, honey, and remaining 2 tablespoons of grated ginger.
- 10Place chicken on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the fleshy part of thigh registers 170 degrees F. and juices run clear.
- 11Baste with the citrus juice mixture at least 4 times during roasting.
- 12*If chicken is browning too quickly, tent with foil.
- 13Transfer to a platter and let rest for 10-15 minutes before carving chicken.
- 14Garnish with orange sections.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sephardic Roast Chicken With Orange, Lemon, and Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 683.0
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 178.2 mg
- Sodium 278.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 42.8 g