1 hr 25 mins
Tracey Rollison's Note:
I got the basis for this recipe (proportions) off a Barilla box years ago. I've tweaked it, adding elements of other lasagne I've liked, until my husband told me it was perfect. Then I started taking it to pitch-ins, and was told by many that it was the best they'd ever had, too! I think it melds elements of good, American-style lasagne: spicy meat, good cheeses, a rich blend of spices, and spinach. The key is the sauces and cheese blend. Get as many different Italian cheese in this as you can! I've used a mozzarella/sun-dried tomato/basil blend for the mozzarella, and that was excellent, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 2 cups pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (parmesan cheese, asiago, provalone, mozzarella and romano blend)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 lb Italian sausage, browned or 1 lb ground beef, browned with
- 2 minced garlic cloves, and
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 (27 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (tomato or basil flavor)
- 12 ounces spaghetti sauce (a second jar of tomato or basil flavor)
- 1 (27 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (3 cheese blend, (or more)
- 1Thaw and drain spinach, pressing in a colander lined with paper towels. Get it as dry as you can.
- 2Preheat oven to 375.
- 3In bowl, combine beaten eggs, ricotta cheese, one cup of mozarella and one cup of Italian cheese blend, and drained spinach. Set aside.
- 4In a 13X9X3 pan, spread 1 cup of tomato/basil sauce on bottom of pan.
- 5Layer in the order, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles (do not overlap), then 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, half the browned meat, 1/2 cup each mozzarella and italian cheese blend, and 1 cup of 3-cheese spaghetti sauce.
- 6Second layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1 1/2 cup tomato/basil sauce.
- 7Third layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture and remained meat, 1 cup of 3-cheese sauce.
- 8For top layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, remaining tomato/basil sauce, and remaining 1 cup total of cheeses.
- 9Bake covered with foil for 50-60 minutes.
- 10Uncover and continue cooking until all the cheese is melted on the top (about 5 minutes).
- 11Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- 12If you are using a 13X9X2 pan---just make 3 layers to avoid boiling over.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simply Perfect American-Style Lasagne
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.0
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 67.7 mg
- Sodium 1081.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-boil lasagna noodles
Italian cheese blend