1/3 Photos of Skillet Lasagna
I came across this recipe in the most serendipitous manner...on my way to work going 50mph I saw some trash blowing across the road...it got stuck to my car and I could hear it fluttering all the way to work. When I got out of my car I found a piece of newspaper stuck to my front grill. I took it off and what was it? A torn out page from a week old newspaper that has 4 yummy sounding recipes! Wow. I feel obligated to post them now. This one sites: Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground lean pork
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- 6 ounces curly-edged regular lasagna noodles, 8 noodles broken into 2-inch pieces (do not use no-boil noodles)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1Cook meat in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat, breaking it into pieces with a wooden spoon until fat renders, 3-5 minutes. Drain.
- 2In the skillet stir into the meat, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp salt and cook over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 3Sprinkle broken noodles into skillet, then pour in tomato sauce and water so that it covers the noodles (you may need to add extra water if noodles are especially dry).
- 4Cover and cook, stirring often at a vigorous simmer until noodles are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 5Turn off heat, stir in half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Dot heaping tablespoons of ricotta over the noodles, then sprinkle the remaining cheeses.
- 7Cover and let stand off heat until cheeses melts, 3-5 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle with basil before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.8
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 122.0 mg
- Sodium 1153.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 41.1 g