1/2 Photos of Slow Cooked Crock Pot Roman Lamb
French Tart's Note:
An original & very old recipe from Italian friends in Northern Italy - this recipe has been handed down through the ages & is an absolute show stopper for large family gatherings! After the initial browning of the meat, it cooks beautifully in a slow cooker or crock pot, slowly fragrancing the kitchen with a mouthwatering aroma! I have given the quantities that were originally given to me - that is LARGE, up to 14 hungry people! The recipe can be halved for a smaller gathering however. The legs of lamb I used were about 2 kilos each, that's about 4 1/2 lbs.If you are unsure about boning a leg of lamb yourself, ask your butcher to do it for you OR use ready boned & diced mixed lamb meat. Roman lamb is best served with plain steamed potatoes to mop all those yummy juices up with & some fresh green beans. It is also BRILLIANT as a pie filling afterwards - that's if you have any left!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 leg of lamb
- 4 -6 ounces butter
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, peeled
- 1 (5 ounce) can anchovies
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 6 lambs kidneys, soaked in milk
- 1Bone and dice the legs of lamb into apple size chunks.
- 2Drain & chop the lamb's kidneys if using into small dice.
- 3Heat up small quantities of olive oil and butter together & brown the lamb pieces over a very high heat until nutty brown and completely sealed. DO NOT overcrowd the pan - take your time!
- 4Place the lamb into a crock pot as you brown them.
- 5If using the kidneys, brown them quickly over a high heat too & add to the lamb.
- 6In a food mixer, mix together the following: anchovies, rosemary leaves - not the branches, the peeled cloves garlic, salt & pepper, balsamic & red wine vinegars & cup of water. Blitz until thoroughly blended & smooth.
- 7Add the food mixer blend to the lamb & kidneys in the crockpot. Stir well.
- 8Don't worry if the mixture looks too thick - we still have all the lamb juices to cook into it all!
- 9Cook on automatic for up to maximum time - 8-12 hours OR on high for 4 hours & then low for up to 6 hours. The meat will be meltingly tender & have made a thinner sauce/gravy.
- 10This can be kept warm for up to 2 hours too - and it freezes beautifully!
- 11Serve with fresh rosemary garnish and with simple fresh vegetables such as greens & steamed or mashed potatoes.
- 12Can also be eaten Summer style with fresh crusty bread or pasta and salad.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Crock Pot Roman Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.0
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.5 mg
- Sodium 607.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
leg of lamb