Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My ex girlfiend's world famous Spaghetti Sauce. My love of this meal was considered during the tumultuous decision to split. (Do I stay? Do I go? ... Oh.. but the spaghetti!!!! Maybe I can come for dinner regularly??? I have to leave.... I'll just have to hope for the best on the spaghetti front :D ) Legend has it that this is a blend of the recipe from an old Italian lady just down the road... and Melissa's natural flair for all things Italian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, sliced
- 4 big garlic cloves, minced
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 (400 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons chicken or 3 teaspoons vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- spaghetti, cooked and drained
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- In a skillet cook mince, rosemary and sage in olive oil on medium until golden brown.
- Take out of pan but do not drain.
- Add some more oil along with the garlic and onion and cook until lightly browned (do not burn). About 2 minutes.
- Add chopped celery and cook another 2 minutes or until soften.
- Add 1 teaspoon celery salt and stir well.
- Add carrot and 2 more teaspoons of celery salt, stir for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tins of tomatoes and 3 teaspoons of dry chicken stock along with the Worcestershire sauce, red wine and 1 cup of water.
- Stir well and cook on low heat for 4 minutes.
- Add mince back into mixture and cook everything on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper, stock or another 1/2 cup of water only if required.
- Serve over Spaghetti, and use quality Parmesan that you have grated yourself.