Cook1 hr 10 mins
I like to use some of the frozen red bell peppers which I have roasted and frozen last summer but store bought works well. This meal goes well with a tossed salad or grilled zucchini, as well as garlic bread and Shiraz wine. Fresh fruit or espresso with biscotti makes a nice finish to the meal.
For the meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground veal (or may use ground beef or ground pork as well)
- 2⁄3 cup roasted red pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (pulse bread slices in your food processor or crumble stale bread with fingertips)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust for preferred spiciness)
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
Serve meatballs with
- 1 1⁄2-2 quarts spaghetti sauce
- cooked spaghetti (I use Dreamfield's lower glycemic spaghetti)
- Mix together all ingredients, adding water last and using only as much water as it takes for the meat to come together without being too thick.
- Line a baking pan with nonstick foil or nonstick spray.
- Form meat mixture into 18 large meatballs, patting them lightly into large balls, and placing them evenly apart on the baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 40 minutes or until firm.
- Place meatballs in a large saucepan or dutch oven and cover with 1 1/2-2 quarts of spaghetti sauce and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Serve meatballs in sauce over cooked spaghetti.