1 hr 10 mins
I started a diet and didn't want to starve myself. I have been trying to lighten up my favorite foods. Here is one version! This also make great meatball sandwiches the next day. Feel free to omit the zucchini if it isn't in season. When I feel like chopping more, I add 1/2 an onion to the sauce. You may want to adjust seasonings depending on the flavor of your sausage. I used sweet Italian and the measurements below were just fine. (305 calories per serving with the turkey sausages included in the facts.)
My Private Note
large m ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 zucchini (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 Italian turkey sausage links
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (or salt)
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (or other pasta of your choice)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In a large skillet or dutch oven, combine all ingredients to sauce oven medium high heat.
- 3When it just starts to boil, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer until ready to serve (the longer it cooks the better it tastes).
- 4In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for the meat balls.
- 5Form meat mixture into balls and place in a 9X13 pan.
- 6This should make 18 large (2 tablespoons size meatballs). Cook large meatballs 40 minutes at 350.
- 7During the last ten minutes of baking time, cook pasta according to directions.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti and Turkey Sausage Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.0
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 580.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian turkey sausage links