1/1 Photo of Spaghettini With Burst Cherry Tomatoes
Chef Kate's Note:
This dish, from Olives & Oranges by Sara Jenkins and Mindy Fox is a great way to use cherry tomatoes. "As the tomatoes lightly brown in olive oil in a hot skillet, their skins burst and their juices caramelize, giving this quick sauce a depth that one usually encounters only in slower-cooked versions," the authors write.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (mixed heirloom, currant tomatoes and grape tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lb spaghettini or 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/3 cup basil, leaves. thinly sliced fresh
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking; add half of the tomatoes and the salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until tomatoes start to blister and collapse, about 3 minutes. Add remaining tomatoes; cook, tossing once, 2 minutes.
- 3Push tomatoes to one side of pan; add garlic. Cook until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir garlic and tomatoes together gently; cook, stirring occasionally and gently pressing tomatoes to release juices, until all tomatoes have collapsed and sauce is juicy and thick, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4Add pasta to boiling water; cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, gently reheat sauce.
- 5Drain pasta; place in serving bowl. Add sauce and basil; toss. Add 3/4 cup of the cheese; toss. Add remaining ¾ cup cheese; toss.
- 6Season with pepper.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghettini With Burst Cherry Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.7
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 33.0 mg
- Sodium 879.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 30.8 g