Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
When I'm having an 'Italian' cooking night, I love to make this. It was originally from an Australian Womens Weekly 'Italian' cook book. I've used both fresh & frozen spinach and works fine either way. This is great as a starter to an Italian meal or themed dinner. Serves 4 as a meal with a salad, herb or garlic bread or Serves 6 as an entrée (starter) to a main meal.
- 250 g frozen spinach or 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 90 g parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 45 g butter
- FRESH SPINACH.
- Wash& dry spinach, remove white stalks.
- Cook Spinach with very little water, boiling in a saucepan with a tightly fitting lid for about 5 minutes Drain well- squeeze all liquid out.
- FROZEN SPINACH.
- Defrost, squeeze all the liquid out.
- Combine the spinach with ricotta cheese, half the grated parmesan cheese, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl- mix well.
- Form mixture into balls or egg shape using a tablespoon and the palm of your hand to mould them.
- Roll gnocchi lightly in flour.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil- lower the temperature to a gently rolling boil.
- Drop in gnocchi 3 or 4 at a time.
- Simmer gently until gnocchi rise to the surface, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan with slotted spoon.
- Arrange in well greased oven proof dish.
- Continue with the rest of the gnocchi 3 or 4 at a time, until there all done and in the oven proof dish.
- Melt butter and pour over gnocchi, sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place under moderately hot grill for a few minutes, until cheese turns golden brown.