Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
"Carnivores and vegetarians alike are seduced by this rich pasta entrée, which supplies a satisfying serving of vegetables in every portion." I have a series of recipes I got out of what I thought would be a useless magazine full of ho-hum recipes that I was given for free at the Check out stand at my local grocery store. The magazine is called "Dan's real food Spring 2008" Turns out, they are some of the best recipes I have ever come upon. This is one of those recipes.
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (5 ounce) packagewashed Baby Spinach (or 8 ounces frozen spinach leaves, thawed and squeezed dry)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 cups tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 Farenheit.
- Place noodles and enough water to cover in a 2-quart microwave-safe, oven proof casserole dish. Cover and microwave on high until noodles are softened, about 4 minutes. drain off water and arrange noodles on a plate to cool. Dry casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add spinach and 1 tbs[ water, then stir to coat leaves and cover pan. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until wilted, about 1 minute. Spread cooked spinach out on a cutting board to cool, then finely chop.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the mozzarella, ricotta, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, egg, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir in cooled spinach mixture.
- Spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce in bottom of casserole. Place 1/4 cup of the cheese and spinach mixture at base of each noodle and roll up. Place rolls seam-side down in casserole; pour remaining sauce over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover, and bake until cheese bubbles, 5 to 10 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Magic! Made for lunch for the family. It smells fantasic cooking and had us hovering in the kitchen waiting timer to go off. Full of flavour and very enjoyable. I had to hold back the family on seconds just to get the photo. 1st recipe of 3 reviewed for PAC 2013