1 hr 30 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
This recipe comes from the Cucina Deliziosa Cookbook, which is one of my favorites! The original recipe was submitted by Mary Patronella. I guessed at the amount it serves!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs sardines, canned in olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, slightly toasted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup raisins, plumped in warm
- 3/4 cup red wine, for 30 minutes
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled Italian tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 small fresh fennel, cleaned,boiled and sliced thin (bulb and greens)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- st. joseph day breadcrumbs
- 1In a large pot, saute garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes in juice and tomato paste.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring and breaking up tomatoes; let cook for about 10 minutes.
- 4Add raisins and wine, pine nuts, sardines, fennel, sugar, salt and pepper.
- 5Cook at least 30 minutes over low heat.
- 6Add oregano and parsley; Stir well.
- 7Simmer 10 minutes more.
- 8Serve over pasta.
- 9~NOTE~This pasta is never served with grated cheese.
- 10Serve only with special St.
- 11Joseph's Day bread crumbs.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Joseph's Day Sicilian Pasta con Sarde
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.3
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 107.4 mg
- Sodium 551.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 21.9 g