JERSEY FLOURCHILD's Note:
An Italian Christmas tradition. They are little "dough" balls that are fried in oil. Then covered in honey followed chopped nuts (in our family the addition of chocolate sprinkles). This is my Sicilian grandmother's recipe. It is our families last holiday food preparation to be done every year on Christmas Eve as a group effort. I HOPE THAT YOU ENJOY THESE ITALIAN TREATS AS MUCH AS WE DO.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the Crisco and sugar in bowl of mixer. Beat till blended and light.
- 2Add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat till blended.
- 3Add 2 cups of flour and mix well. Add more flour in half cup measurements till you have a nice rollable dough.
- 4Divide the dough and with a floured counter top and hands roll into long ropes between 1/4"-1/2" thick and then cut ropes with a bread knife into about 1/4" balls. This may seem like it will take a long time but it goes very quickly as I enlist my whole family to take part.
- 5Fry the balls in hot oil till they are golden brown. Remove and put the fried balls in a bowl (with paper towel on bottom) large enough to hold all the struffoli. Remove the paper towel once all struffoli are done.
- 6Heat 1 cup of honey in a small saucepan. No need to make it too hot, just warm. Pour honey over the struffoli balls. Sprinkle with walnuts and in our family's case chocolate sprinkles.
- 7The struffoli can then be put into whatever serving dish you like. I use one with a lid as they should be covered when stored. In my house that is on the kitchen island for easy munching.
- 8After they have sat over night they will need a good stir as the honey sets to the bottom. They may need more honey as well as they absorb it as they sit.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Struffoli
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.7
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.3 mg
- Sodium 15.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 4.1 g