Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Stuffed Cubanelle Peppers Italian Style recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cubanelle peppers, topped and seeded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed and minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup of pre cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large saute pan, cook onions and sausage on high heat for about 5 minutes, until meat is browned and onions are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for about 40 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, beef stock, and fresh basil. Stir together until basil is wilted.
- Place mixture into a large bowl with rice, hot sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Evenly add stuffing to peppers, leaving leftover stuffing in fridge for later on in the week. In olive oil in another big saute pan on medium-high heat, cook peppers until they soften and begin to slightly char. (You could also bake these as well.)
- Serve hot.
Tried this last night and my husband, who doesn't really like sausage, had 3!! Really loved adding my fresh basil to this, and the cheese was a great touch. I did drain my sausage before I added the garlic. I also did not have minute rice, so I waited till I had cooked the liquids down and then stirred in cooked rice. Keeping this one!
This was a great recipe for stuffed peppers! I haven't made stuffed peppers in quiet awhile and the whole family really enjoyed them. Made just as posted! Made for PAC Fall 08'. Thanks for posting
The mozzarella cheese really makes this a fantastic stuffed pepper. There is enough meat/rice mixture to make 6 stuffed peppers. I only added 1 teaspoon of hot sauce. The basil was my first harvest from my new AeroGarden. I misunderstood and use cooked rice. So with stock and tomatoes in the pan, I thought there was going to be to much liquid so I added 2 handfuls of Minute Rice. I now know Austin was talking about a Minute Rice type of 'pre' cooked rice. I forgot to add the mozzarella cheese, so I added it after it was baked. I just parted the rice mixture in the center of the pepper and stuck a big slice to it. Then into the microwave for 1 minute. Great pepper, I'll be making this again. Made for *My Three Chefs* 2008 my Theme: *Stuffed Peppers*