Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From The Superfoods RX Diet book. If you don't want to take the time for dried beans, alternative for canned is posted as a Note.
- Placed washed, dried beans in a stockpot with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Turn off the heat; cover; allow them to soak for 1 hours.
- Drain beans thoroughly. Return them to the stockpot. Cover with 3 cups of fresh water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until beans are done. Skim off any foam that develops.
- During last 10 minutes of cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, stirring constantly. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are nicely browned. Add entire contents of skillet to stockpot and remove from heat.
- With immersion blender, puree the soup. Adjust thickness with water if necessary. Stir in sage. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: if you have a blender rather than an immersion blender, allow the soup to cool slightly. Puree it in batches in the regular blender. Return soup to stockpot and gently reheat.
- Note Two: You can use a 15.5 oz can of drained and rinsed beans instead of the dried ones. Just begin recipe at Step 3.
- Note Three: You can use fresh sage if you want to instead of dried. Use 1/2 T. fresh, snipped sage.