Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I took this from a lasagna packet and slightly modified - the original called for pumpkin but I wanted a lower GI meal. Try both sometime. Also, you could really take the total weight of veggies and make up whatever mix you felt like. BTW, this is a really filling meal! If anyone freezes this let me know how it works too!
- 250 g lasagna sheets
- 300 g ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 500 g sweet potatoes, sliced thickly
- 2 zucchini, sliced thickly
- 200 g button mushrooms or 200 g swiss brown mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 800 g tomatoes, canned and diced
- 140 g tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make bechamel, melt butter in a pan over low heat.
- Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat, add bay leaves and nutmeg and gradually stir in milk - I use a whisk from here.
- Return to low heat and keep whisking and stirring for about 5 minutes, should thicken nicely. Put aside, season and remove bay leaves.
- Now heat oil in a large frypan and add onion and garlic.
- Cook over med heat about 2 minutes, then add sweet potato. Cook another 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, oregano and zucchini and cook another 5 minutes til veggies are just softening. Remove from heat and add tomatoes and paste.
- To assemble, place half the veggie mix in the bottom of a large shallow oven dish. ( I used a 26cm x 20cm dish, 5cm deep and it was only just big enough! ).
- Top with 1/3 lasagna sheets, cover with all the ricotta and 1/4 the parmesan.
- Top with another 1/3 lasagna sheets, cover with other half veggies and 1/4 parmesan.
- Top with rest of lasagna sheets, cover with the bechamel and rest of parmesan - make sure completely covered.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until nicely golden and tender.
- Serve with a big crunchy salad!
This was a lovely, flavoursome and REALLY filling lasagne! I added a bit of red wine to the veggie sauce bit, and also increased the garlic proportions.