This recipe is Italian but with the ingredients used, it could be part of a Greek menu as well. Use the maximum marinating time for the best flavour. From "Williams-Sonoma Italian Favourites".
- In a bowl, combine the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Place the swordfish cubes in a shallow glass dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the olive oil and lemon mixture over the fish and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Add the garlic and oregano to the remaining olive oil and lemon mixture.
- Set aside to use as a sauce.
- Preheat the broiler or fire up the barbecue.
- Cut the onion through the stem end into quarters and separate each quarter into individual pieces.
- Alternate the swordfish cubes with the onion pieces and bay leaves on skewers.
- Arrange the skewers on a broiler pan or on the grill rack.
- Broil or grill, turning once, until the fish is opaque throughout when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot, garnished with lemon slices and accompanied by the reserved sauce.