Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The original recipe calls for eating these sandwiches cold, but we prefer to grill them on our George Foreman grill or in a frying pan. Hot or cold, it is a quick way to make a tasty meal! Perfect for those hot summer days or when you're just in a hurry. Low-fat cheese and dressing can lighten up the recipe without sacraficing flavor.
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup giardiniera, drained (Italian pickled vegetables)
- 2 ounces provolone cheese, sliced and cut into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 pita pockets, halved and gently opened
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce or 8 leaves red leaf lettuce
- cooking spray (optional)
- Combine chicken, pickled vegetables, cheese, parsley, dressing and oregano in medium bowl; mix well.
- Line each half with lettuce leaf. Divide chicken mixture evenly among pita pockets.
- Eat cold, or spray pita halves with cooking spray and lightly brown on an indoor grill or in a frying pan.
These were delicious!! I substituted cheddar cheese for provolone and skipped the parsley coz i didnt have any on hand. These were very yummy, we cut ours in little triangles so they were easier to eat. Will be made again often!