Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My granddaughter & I watched an episode of Everyday Italian when Giada was making this. It looked fun so we tried it. I didn't have brandy on hand so used tiramisu flavored coffee syrup. It was easily assembled & tasted great. (Zuccotto is Tuscan dialect for a cardinal's skull cap - maybe the cake is named such for its shape?)
- Spray a 1 1/2-quart bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Cut the pound cake crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice diagonally in half, forming 2 triangles.
- Line the bottom and sides of the prepared bowl with the cake triangles fitting the puzzle pieces together to minimize gaps.Reserve the extra triangles to cover the top.
- Brush some of the brandy over the cake lining the bowl.
- Stir the chocolate in a large metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly. (we melted the chocolate in the microwave to save time).
- Beat 1 cup of cream in a bowl until it is thick and peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Spread the chocolate cream over the cake, covering completely and creating a well in the center.
- In another bowl, add the remaining 1 cup of cream and almond extract. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed and gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat until firm peaks form. Fold in the nuts. Spoon the cream mixture into the center of the well of the filling.
- Brush the remaining cake slices with brandy and arrange them, brandy side down, over the cake, covering the filling completely and trimming to fit, if necessary.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap, press lightly on top & cover with a plate to weight it down.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- Invert the cake onto a platter. Remove the bowl and the plastic wrap.
- Sift the cocoa powder over and serve.
I saw this episode too! I had tried it the day after. It is soo good, very elegant. I use ameretto instead of the brandy and add some to the heavy cream and almonds. I also add a little bit of coffee to the chocolate mixture.yum!