3 hrs 30 mins
My granddaughter & I watched an episode of Everyday Italian when Giada was making this. It looked fun so we tried it. I didn't have brandy on hand so used tiramisu flavored coffee syrup. It was easily assembled & tasted great. (Zuccotto is Tuscan dialect for a cardinal's skull cap - maybe the cake is named such for its shape?)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Spray a 1 1/2-quart bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bowl with plastic wrap.
- 2Cut the pound cake crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice diagonally in half, forming 2 triangles.
- 3Line the bottom and sides of the prepared bowl with the cake triangles fitting the puzzle pieces together to minimize gaps.Reserve the extra triangles to cover the top.
- 4Brush some of the brandy over the cake lining the bowl.
- 5Stir the chocolate in a large metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly. (we melted the chocolate in the microwave to save time).
- 6Beat 1 cup of cream in a bowl until it is thick and peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate, 1/4 cup at a time.
- 7Spread the chocolate cream over the cake, covering completely and creating a well in the center.
- 8In another bowl, add the remaining 1 cup of cream and almond extract. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed and gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat until firm peaks form. Fold in the nuts. Spoon the cream mixture into the center of the well of the filling.
- 9Brush the remaining cake slices with brandy and arrange them, brandy side down, over the cake, covering the filling completely and trimming to fit, if necessary.
- 10Cover the cake with plastic wrap, press lightly on top & cover with a plate to weight it down.
- 11Refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- 12Invert the cake onto a platter. Remove the bowl and the plastic wrap.
- 13Sift the cocoa powder over and serve.
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taylor's Zuccotto
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.6
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 176.2 mg
- Sodium 193.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 4.8 g