1/1 Photo of The Greatest, Most Flavoursome, Vegetarian Spaghetti!
Well the title says it all :) If you're a fan of pasta, vegetarian or not, please give this a go. It's so easy and unbelievably tasty, you'll never eat out for pasta again! I got tired of pasta that wasn't quite tasty enough and experimented during my early 20s, and came up with this. It doesn't have any onion or meat in it, so it's easy to serve it up to lots of people! Garlic bread and salad and red wine go so well with this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (approx)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (approx)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (approx)
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- some olive oil
- spaghetti, enough for 2 people
- 1Pour about 2T of olive oil in a deep frypan or wok, and on a very low heat, fry the first 5 ingredients (up to basil) for about 30 seconds until it becomes fragrant. Garlic burns very easily so the next step has to be ready to go.
- 2Before garlic burns, pour in tomatoes and stir in, turning up the heat to medium.
- 3Add next 5 ingredients (up to red wine), stir thoroughly, then bring to the boil. Check to see that the flavour is balanced between the salt, sugar and vinegar. it should have a bit of a kick - but if you can taste the sugar or vinegar quite strongly, adjust taste, very carefully. eg. if it tastes like vinegar, add another 1/4 t sugar.
- 4Reduce to medium heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until reduced.
- 5In the meantime, grate parmesan cheese, boil large saucepan of generously salted water (you don't need oil).
- 6Boil pasta according to instructions - try not to touch it too much, and not to overcook it - bite-test it every 30 seconds when it gets close to the finish time. Pasta should be juicy and springy, not sticky and limp.
- 7Drain pasta, toss with olive oil, then serve onto plates. Top with sauce, parmesan, and cracked pepper. Bon apetit!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Greatest, Most Flavoursome, Vegetarian Spaghetti!
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.8
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 1108.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 11.7 g