2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Little Bee's Note:
Although making lasagna can be a little time consuming this is well worth the effort! I like to make this for company. If I say I am making DH says his mouth starts watering! LOL! This is also requested by my sister and her favorite thing I make. I don't think you will be dissapointed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Drain and return to pot.
- 2Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce,and water. Season with sugar, Basil, Fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- 3Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 4Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 5Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. Dry noodles on some paper towels.
- 6In a mixing bowl, Combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 7Preheat oven to 375 degrees F To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 8Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 9Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- 10Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- 11Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- 12Remove foil, and bake an additional 15 -20 minutes.
- 13Cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. This makes for easier slicing.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.4
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 159.5 mg
- Sodium 2833.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 47.8 g