1/2 Photos of Three-Layer Italian Coconut Cream Cake
This cake will taste even better the next day so I suggest to make it a day in advance, the frosting for this cake is my Kittencal's Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white shortening
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup soft flaked coconut, plus more
- soft flaked coconut, to sprinkle on the top of the cake after frosting
- 1 1/2 cups raspberry preserves, divided (or use as much as desired)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease three 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3For cake; in a small bowl combine 1 cup buttermilk with 1 teaspoon baking soda; set aside.
- 4In a large bowl cream the butter and shortening with sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- 5Add in eggs and the buttermilk/soda mixture; beat until well combined.
- 6In a small bowl combine the flour with baking powder then add to the creamed mixture; beat until just combined.
- 7Mix in 1 cup coconut.
- 8Divide into prepared baking pans.
- 9Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the cakes test done.
- 10Allow to cool in pans then remove to a wire rack/s to cool completely.
- 11Place 1 cake layer on a plate, then spread about 3/4 cup of the raspberry preserves on top (can use more or less).
- 12Place the second cake layer over the top, then spread the top of cake layer with remaining 3/4 cup preserves.
- 13Top with remaining third cake layer.
- 14For the frosting; in a bowl combine the cream cheese with soft butter, cream and both extracts; beat until combined.
- 15Add in confectioners sugar and beat until smooth adding in more cream or confectioners sugar if needed to achieve desired spreading consistancy.
- 16Mix in 1 cup coconut.
- 17Spread on top and sides of the cooled cake.
- 18Sprinkle flaked coconut over the top of the cake (use as much as desired).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three-Layer Italian Coconut Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 844.4
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 151.3 mg
- Sodium 401.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 94.4 g
- Protein 7.6 g