I made this up out of several different recipes. Since we love things fairly spicy it took humdrum to very nice spice!!! Note that I do not brown chicken first...just toss it in the crock pot. Also...I am not very good about measuring...although since zaar membership I am trying harder....so always taste to decide if you need more of a spice. I am also not sure of the crock pot cooking time as I am at home checking it and stirring occasionally...will try and get that down better next time I make it. Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs skinless chicken breasts, with ribs, washed and dried
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons of minced garlic (or more if desired)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce (I use Classico spicy red pepper and their spicy basil combined)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 6 -7 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon Pickapeppa Sauce (optional)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half or 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Place chicken in crock pot bone side up.
- Add all seasonings and vegetables on top of chicken, including the optionals if using stop at the butter.
- Then add the 2 jars of pasta sauce on top. I cook on high for 3-4 hours depending on how thick the chicken breasts are, stirring occasionally.
- When the internal temperature reaches 180°F using a meat thermometer, I remove the chicken and debone, placing meat back into the sauce.
- I then add the butter, whipping cream and continue to cook for another hour on warm.
- About 10 minutes before serving, I add the parmesan cheese.
- Serve over pasta or I use extra wide egg noodles with warm crusty bread!