1/5 Photos of Traditional Italian Spinach Lasagna
This is a dish I make only once a year. We invite friends to dinner. If there are any leftovers, I freeze them in single serving size bags and put those into a large freezer bag. This is labor intensive, and an all day affair for me. I like that the crosswise sections make me think of the Italian flag.
My Private Note
Large L ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs sausage
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (ground)
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley
- 3 quarts tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese (cut into large pieces)
- 3 ounces romano cheese or 3 ounces parmesan cheese or 3 ounces asiago cheese, etc
- 1Saute the onions and garlic in a heavy iron pot in olive oil, until translucent, then remove from pot, and set aside.
- 2Put sausage in pot with ground fennel and brown.
- 3Add basil, oregano, and parsley.
- 4Stir in onions and garlic, as well as tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste.
- 5Let simmer gently about 2-3 hours.
- 6Boil lasagna noodles according to package directions, and hang to dry.
- 7Beat together eggs, ricotta and parmesan cheese, set aside.
- 8Build lasanga:.
- 9Barely cover bottom of large, deep lasagna pan with sauce.
- 10Place a layer of noodles lengthwise over sauce.
- 11Place all of spinach over noodles.
- 12Cover this with a layer of noodles shortwise.
- 13Spread ricotta cheese mixture over noodles, and cover this with a lengthwise layer of noodles.
- 14Put one half of remaining sauce over noodles and cover with shortwise noodles.
- 15place mozzerella cheese over noodles into a somewhat solid sheet and cover with lengthwise noodles.
- 16Pour remaining sauce over top.
- 17Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly.
- 18Grate hard cheese over top as soon as you pull it from the oven.
- 19Serve with Italian bread and a salad.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Italian Spinach Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.3
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 133.9 mg
- Sodium 1246.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 25.3 g