Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
What could be better than the creamy smoothness of risotto with a hint of truffle combined with the elegance of lobster. If you need, or want, a show-off entree this is perfect for guests or that romantic dinner. There seems to be alot to this recipe but the result is worth it. I have prepared this using both warm and cold water lobster tails and I prefer the cold for its sweetness. For the truffle oil I have only used the black variety. This recipe is courtesy of Bon Appetit, January 1998
- Preheat oven to 425F or 218°C.
- Prepare Lobster:.
- Cook lobster in a large pot of simmering salted water until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer lobster to a bowl of cold water to cool. Drain Lobster.
- Remove meat from shells, reserve shells.
- Cut meat into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces. Set aside.
- Break shells into large pieces. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Place shells and 1 cup of chicken broth in blender and blend until finely chopped. Strain through a fine sieve. Reserve lobster broth, discard shells.
- Prepare Risotto:.
- Place remaining 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth in a sauce pan bring to a simmer, keep hot.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of truffle oil in a heavy large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add carrots and shallots, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add rice, stir to coat with oil, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add brandy, reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until brandy is absorbed, stirring constantly. About 2 minutes.
- Add lobster broth and about 2 cups of chicken broth, simmer until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy. Add remaining broth by 1/4 cup as needed, stiring often, about 20 minutes.
- Add lobster and cream, stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of truffle oil and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This made for a nice Valentine's Dinner last night. We subbed lobster stock for the chicken broth and the step of making our own lobster stock in order to cut down on time, which worked well. Loved the addition of truffle oil to the risotto. Thanks for posting.