Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great salad that's easy to prepare, and it's a great way to use up any day old bread you might have leftover. Please don't be restricted to the dressing listed here. Feel free to toss salad with any Italian, or oil and vinegar based dressing of your choice. A balsamic vinaigrette works great with this too.
- 4 slices crusty Italian bread (day old preferred) or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut about 1/2 inch thick (day old preferred)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted and cut into strips
- 1⁄4 chopped fresh basil
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toast bread slices under broiler for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove slices and rub with garlic cloves.
- Prepare dressing by whisking ingredients together in a small bowl, and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cut bread slices into small cubes and add them to a serving bowl.
- Next add the tomatoes, beans, roasted pepper and basil.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Let salad rest about 5-10 minutes before serving.
OK, I used borlotti beans, didn't roast the pepper and used Bavarian mustard instead of Dijon. This recipe can take adaptations without losing anything and is very versatile. A perfect salad for those who can't stand salad greens. Tastes great.
AN OUTSTANDING SALAD! I used a heavy winter wheat bread then followed the recipe the rest of the way, & the salad was something I'll definitely be making again & again! Thanks for the post! [Tagged, made & reviewed as an extra recipe for one of my teammates in the Aus/NZ Special Recipe Swap #19]
This was so FANTASTIC! Once we finished it DH and I both said, "We should've made more!" I added some minced onions and one clove garlic chopped to the dressing. I also just used plain wheat toast to make it a little healthier and it still turned out perfect. THANKS! Made for veg*n swap.