This is a great salad that's easy to prepare, and it's a great way to use up any day old bread you might have leftover. Please don't be restricted to the dressing listed here. Feel free to toss salad with any Italian, or oil and vinegar based dressing of your choice. A balsamic vinaigrette works great with this too.
- 4 slices crusty Italian bread (day old preferred) or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut about 1/2 inch thick (day old preferred)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted and cut into strips
- 1⁄4 chopped fresh basil
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toast bread slices under broiler for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove slices and rub with garlic cloves.
- Prepare dressing by whisking ingredients together in a small bowl, and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cut bread slices into small cubes and add them to a serving bowl.
- Next add the tomatoes, beans, roasted pepper and basil.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Let salad rest about 5-10 minutes before serving.