Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We love to have this out on the back porch in the summer if the mosquitoes aren't hungrier than we are! You, of course, can have it anytime of year you want. Very simple and clean flavors. A green salad, crusty garlic bread, and crisp white wine make a classic meal.
- 3 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp (tail left on)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- best-quality extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Combine all bean ingredients and heat on medium low.
- While the beans are simmering, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the shrimp, season with salt and cook for about 1-3 minutes, tossing frequently until shrimp turns pink and begins to curl. Don't overcook! If you using pre-cooked shrimp, you basically are just browning them a bit.
- Remove the shrimp to a bowl.
- Add the garlic to the pan and saute until the garlic browns.
- Add the pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and basil and stir briefly, then add the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 1 minute, and then stir in the shrimp. Toss well and cook briefly to reheat the shrimp.
- Spoon the white beans on a platter or individual plates.
- Drizzle with the best olive oil you have.
- Top with shrimp mixture.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
It was ok.. will try it again! The Wine vinegar in the beans was a little diffrent the shrimp was perfect.
Marvelous. I thought the mild beans were the perfect foil for the spicy shrimp. We enjoyed this with Parmesan Stars Parmesan Stars (And Other Shapes Too).
Theresa gave a 4 star and I gave a 3 star. Flavorful but the beans were blah, seasoning needs to be added to the beans.