1/1 Photo of Veal Osso Buco (Yummy)
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 35 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is a very tender Italian veal dish with a flavorful tomato and herb sauce. It takes a while to prepare, but does not require much attention while cooking. Original recipe makes 6 to 8 servings, but I scaled it down to make 2 servings. It is DELICIOUS!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus
- 3/4 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 veal shanks
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus
- 2 1/4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 1/4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped, plus
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, thinly sliced, plus
- 1 tablespoon carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped, plus
- 2 teaspoons celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (I use Hunt's)
- 1/2 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 3/4 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, and black pepper.
- 2Dredge meat in seasoned flour.
- 3In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium heat.
- 4Brown meat in skillet.
- 5Remove meat from pan, and set aside.
- 6Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to drippings in pan.
- 7Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in tomato sauce, water, basil, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf.
- 9Return meat to pan.
- 10Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer.
- 11Cover, and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- 12Serve the delicious sauce over meat, a bed of rice, or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Osso Buco (Yummy)
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.3
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.6 mg
- Sodium 2184.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: