Cook2 hrs 35 mins
This is a very tender Italian veal dish with a flavorful tomato and herb sauce. It takes a while to prepare, but does not require much attention while cooking. Original recipe makes 6 to 8 servings, but I scaled it down to make 2 servings. It is DELICIOUS!!!
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus
- 3⁄4 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 veal shanks
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped, plus
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced, plus
- 1 tablespoon carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped, plus
- 2 teaspoons celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (I use Hunt's)
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Dredge meat in seasoned flour.
- In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium heat.
- Brown meat in skillet.
- Remove meat from pan, and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to drippings in pan.
- Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, basil, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf.
- Return meat to pan.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover, and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- Serve the delicious sauce over meat, a bed of rice, or mashed potatoes.