Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my favorite recipes. When you go to the store, don’t purchase the veal scaloppini in the case, as it is too thin. Ask the butcher to slice 2 large veal cutlets from the veal top round 1/2” thick, and to tenderize them for you. Conagra Foods makes both Angela Mia and Hunts, so Angela Mia would also be alright to use if you do not see Hunts. If you have any questions e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINARA SAUCE
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canshunts chunky crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans hunts tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (Italian)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 chopped garlic cloves (cut in halves or thirds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic juice (from jar)
- 1 shallot (diced)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR VEAL
- 2 large veal cutlets (Veal Top Round, 1/2 thick & tenderized)
- 2 -3 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 lb fratella cheese (crumbled) or 8 slices fontina
- DIRECTIONS FOR MARINARA SAUCE:.
- Empty crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and olive oil into pot.
- Slice the cloves of garlic crosswise into halves or thirds and dump them into pot.
- Slice shallot and dump into pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix well with a large long handled wooden spoon.
- Do not strain, as the pulp adds to make this a thick and wonderful sauce.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring every 10 minutes for about an hour, or until it bubbles and is completely heated throughout.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue to simmer, stirring every 10 or 15 minutes to keep from burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot for 1 or 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and give it one last stir.
- DIRECTIONS FOR VEAL:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the beaten eggs in a bowl.
- Pour flour into a large plate and also the bread crumbs into another large plate.
- Pat the veal cutlets dry with paper towel.
- Dip the veal cutlets into the flour, covering both sides, then into the egg batter, covering both sides, and then dip into the bread crumbs, again making sure to cover both sides.
- Place the veal cutlets into large skillet with olive oil. MAKE SURE THE SKILLET AND OIL IS EXTREMELY HOT before you place the veal cutlets into the skillet. Sprinkle pepper to taste. Brown until golden brown on both sides.
- Spray the inside of a large glass baking dish with Pam or cover with oil or shortening.
- Place half of the Marinara sauce into baking dish.
- Place the veal cutlets into the baking dish over the sauce.
- Cover the veal cutlets with the remaining half of sauce, and then cover with both cheeses.
- Place into preheated 350 degree oven until the cheese melts and bubbles (about 10 to 15 minutes). Remove from oven and serve.
- NOTE: If you want to also serve Spaghetti as a side dish, double the ingredients for the Marinara sauce and reserve half of the sauce for the top of the spaghetti.