1/4 Photos of Veal Parmigiana
1 hr 30 mins
From my room mate Margaret in 1962. I still have the typed recipe on the 3 index cards she gave me. On the card it says a good source of Vitamins A, B, and C. On the card, I wrote it takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to fix, but then I was a new cook, and very slow. This is quite delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (mashed)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano (crushed)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (finely crushed)
- 1 lb veal (6 slices - 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (cut into 6 thick slices)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1Heat the 3 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until golden.
- 2Stir in tomato sauce, water, oregano, pepper, and parsley.
- 3Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Combine 1/2 cup parmesan cheesewith bread crumbs.
- 5Dip veal into egg, then into cheese crumb mixture.
- 6Heat remaining olive oil in skillet and saute veal until golden, turning only once.
- 7Pour 1/2 the tomato sauce into baking dish.
- 8Place veal and mozzarella cheese in alternating layers in dish.
- 9Pour remaining sauce over veal and cheese.
- 10Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese.
- 11Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and cheese melts slightly.
- 12Serve with capellini, crusty bread, and a salad.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.8
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 131.7 mg
- Sodium 931.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 30.5 g