Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm not a vegetarian, but this lasagna is awesome. It calls for vegetarian crumbles in the sauce, but I've never used them before so I just omit them. My family likes this and never complains about the "no meat" issue.
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 14 1⁄2 ounces whole tomatoes, undrained
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen veggie crumbles, thawed
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 8 ounces italian four cheese blend, shredded
- Cook onion and garlic in oil until translucent, add spinach and heat through.
- Stir in 2 T. of parsley, the basil, sugar, tomatoes and tomato sauce, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon.
- Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered about 45 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.
- While noodles are cooking, mix ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, oregano and remaining 1 T. parsley.
- Add the vegetarian crumbles to the tomato sauce, heat through.
- Spread half of the spinach mixture in ungreased 9 x 13 pan.
- Top with 4 noodles.
- Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over noodles.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of Italian cheese blend.
- Repeat layers, ending with Italian cheese blend.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.