Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Made with refrigerated French bread dough, this is easy and will impress! Adapted from Pampered Chef "All The Best" cookbook. Enjoy! Make this with vegetarian pepperoni for a vegetarian feast!
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vegetarian pepperoni, slices, diced
- 1 (3 1/4 ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (or minced)
- 2 (11 ounce) packagesrefrigerated French bread dough
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Dice pepperoni and red bell pepper, chop olives, shred mozzarella cheese.
- Combine pepperoni, olives, red bell pepper, mozzarella cheese, parsley, flour and garlic in bowl. Mix well.
- Place bread dough, seam sides up on cutting board. Using serrated knife, slice each loaf lengthwise, end to end, cutting halfway through to center of loaf; spread open flat. Lightly sprinkle flour evenly over dough.
- Using rolling pin, roll dough crosswise to a 4" width, creating a well down the center of each loaf.
- Spoon half of the pepperoni mixture down the center of each loaf. Gather up the edges over filling, pinching firmly to seal.
- Place loaves, seam sides down, in an X pattern on a baking sheet. Crisscross ends of dough to form a large figure 8, keeping ends of dough 1" from edge of baking pan and leaving two 1 1/2" openings in center of twist.
- Combine egg white and Italian seasoning; lightly brush over dough.
- Cut a 3" slit in each of the top sections of the twist to reveal filling.
- Sprinkle the 2 tbls. Parmesan cheese over the loaf.
- Bake 30-32 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This was amazing. I left out the red peppers and used reg, pepperoni. It tasted just like a muffaletta. The kids and I are going to add this to our weekly dinners. Thanks for the recipe!
Wonderful way to serve a hearty veggie treat at a football game; with the olives, you won't miss pizza sauce. The only challenge is finding Yves Vegetarian Pepperoni, which used to be everywhere, but with more extensive vegetarian offerings, this particular ingredient has become harder to track down; I found mine at Wegman's, it wasn't at the nearby natural foods store or at Whole Foods. I love French bread, I love ripe olives,and I love pepperoni taste, so guess what, I loved this!
Since I couldn't find refrigerated bread dough where I live I used frozen bread dough (with permission). I allowed the dough to thaw and rise, then followed the recipe as it's written. This is fabulous. It's like a big, inside-out pizza. The recipe has a lot of versatility since you could use any fillings you like. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.