Kozmic Blues's Note:
I saw this recipe made on 30 Minute Meals. These shrimp and scallops in the light tomato broth are delicious. I've even made this without the saffron (with a touch more garlic and spice) and it was still full of flavor. I substitute vegetable broth for the chicken, but feel free to add it back if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1/4 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup fish stock (or chicken if you prefer)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1Lightly coat the sea scallops in flour.
- 2Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 3Add oil and butter.
- 4When butter melts into oil, add scallops.
- 5Brown scallops 2 minutes on each side, then remove from pan.
- 6If the pan looks a little dry, add an additional drizzle of olive oil to the pan, then add the garlic, shallots, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- 7Reduce heat, and saute garlic and shallots 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 8Add wine to the pan and free up any bits that are stuck to the pan.
- 9Reduce wine about a minute, then add stock, tomatoes and saffron threads.
- 10When liquids come to a bubble, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes.
- 11Return scallops to the pan and cook shrimp and scallops 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- 12Transfer shrimp and scallops to a serving dish and top with basil and lemon zest.
- 13Serve with crusty bread to enjoy the juices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venetian Shrimp and Scallops
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.0
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 225.5 mg
- Sodium 611.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 44.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of