From Gourmet magazine, posted here for safe keeping.
Make and share this White Lasagne With Parmigiano Besciamella (Lasagne in Bianco ) recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup minced shallot (about 6)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup rich chicken broth or 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dry marsala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 lb grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided (1 cup)
- 12 no-boil egg lasagna sheets
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Cook shallots in butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, 3 minutes. Add nutmeg, then slowly whisk in milk and stock.
- Bring to a boil, whisking, then simmer, stirring occasionally, just until sauce lightly coats back of spoon, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cool to warm, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in eggs, Marsala, sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spread about 1 1/4 cups sauce over bottom of an 11- by 8-inch baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of 3 lasagne sheets. Repeat layering 3 more times, then top with remaining sauce and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until browned, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cooks' note: Sauce can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered (once cool).
I just made this. I used barilla no- boil lasagne noodles and I skipped the wine, substituted onions for shallots and added chopped spinach and 4 cloves chopped garlic to the sauce as well as a bag on coarsly chopped califonia blend veggies. I also added more cheese. It is very good. Mushrooms would have been good too!
Really wonderful. Like Parsley, I added some chopped sauteed shiitake mushrooms, and a bit of leftover seafood (shrimp and scallops) which didn't hurt a bit! The sauce is the secret, though. And instead of the boxed lasagne, I got out my trusty Marcato and rolled out my own paper-thin pasta sheets! Thanks, Ms, Kitty, for tonight's delicious dinner idea...
A nice, elegant lasagna. I added sauteed mushrooms and garlic to the sauce. I'm glad I did, because the garlic gave this great flavor. I felt 1 cup of cheese was not enough for a big lasagna, so I doubled that amount. Thanx for sharing this great recipe. I'll make this again with my mentioned adjustments.