1/2 Photos of Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Swiss Chard and Pecorino Cheese
My husband and I enjoyed this dish for dinner on New Year's eve. It was a nice break from all the rich and unhealthy foods we had been eating throughout the holidays. This recipe came from Giada's Family Dinners.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches swiss chard, trimmed and chopped (about 14 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olive, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place the pine nuts on a heavy baking sheet or in a pie tin. Toast nuts in the oven, stirring occasionally to ensure they brown evenly for about 10 minutes or until they are brown. Set the nuts aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the chard and saute until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, the wine, and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down and the chard is very tender, about 5 minutes. Season the chard mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3While performing step 2, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring often to prevent the pasta from sticking together, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain. Add the spaghetti to the chard mixture and toss to combine.
- 4Transfer the pasta to bowls; sprinkle with pine nuts, olives, and cheese on top and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Swiss Chard and Pecorino Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.2
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 712.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: