Cook1 hr 10 mins
This was actually my mom's recipe, but to this day, I haven't had lasagna that has been able to match this one. We very rarely had leftovers when she made this. But, if you do get leftovers, it's even better the next day after reheating. This particular recipe calls for cottage cheese, but you can certainly use the same amount of ricotta cheese if you like. But, I will tell you, once you taste it, you won't even tell it's cottage cheese that you're eating. My mom just always used it because it's healthier, at least that what she says, but I like it better anyway because it doesn't have that "dry" texture ricotta has. But it's up to you. Also, if you have a little extra mozzarella cheese, you can add some of that to the top after you remove the foil and before putting it back in the oven, if you wish. I hope you enjoy it!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine beef and sauce in sauce pan. Put just enough water in sauce jar to rinse sides, shake it up, then add it to sauce. Mix and let simmer.
- While sauce simmers, combine all 3 cheeses, eggs, and salt and pepper to taste in large mixing bowl and mix well.
- In 13x9" casserole/baking dish, lay down thin layer of sauce on bottom, just enough to cover so noodles don't stick.
- Lay down first layer of UNCOOKED noodles, then a layer of sauce, then 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Follow with another layer of noodles, sauce, rest of cheese mixture, another layer of noodles, then finish with the rest of the sauce on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove foil, then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.