Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love baked pastas and lasagna-type dishes, so I figured I'd make up my own this last winter with what was in the house. Well, before I knew it, I had more cheese than anything else! So...If you're a cheese lover, this dish is for you! :) It would be easy to "customize" though, which is what I do with many recipes. It would probably be good by cutting some cheese and adding varied veggies (some suggestions: mushrooms, spinach, squash, eggplant, and so on). Have fun, be creative, and enjoy!
- 10 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (13 ounce) can chicken, separated into chunks (or 2-3 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the tortellini according to the package directions, and drain.
- In a large bowl, gently combine all ingredients from the diced tomatoes through the salt.
- Gently mix the tortellini into the sauce mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease an 8x8-inch square baking dish, and put half of the tortellini mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese, and put the rest of the tortellini mixture on top.
- Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top, and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of that.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and melted.
What a fantastic quick dinner! This recipe easily doubled for us tonight. Tomato/Chicken hating hubby, 3 1/2 yr old, and 17 month old all cleared their plates! It was great! Recipe was very easy to follow and directions were clear. The only thing I didn't double was the thyme and the can of chicken. Thanks for another wonderful meal to add to my week night rotation!