Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A wonderful tasting lasagna - you would never know it's weight watchers! Each piece is 6 points.
Make and share this Ww Watch Your Weight Lasagna With Meat Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (10% or less fat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) containersrefrigerated marinara sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pecorino romano cheese
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Toast and grind the fennel seeds by placing them in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cook, shaking the pan and stirring constantly until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Watch them carefully- they will burn quickly!
- Remove from pan and grind to a powder.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil, then add the beef, onion, bell pepper and zucchini.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef browns.
- Stir in the marinara sauce and fennel, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened and the flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread one-fourth of the meat sauce in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Top with 3 of the noodles; spread with 1/2 cup of ricotta.
- Repeat the layering twice, ending with the meat sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle with the mozzarella and Romano.
- Bake until heated through and cheeses are lightly browned, abut 20 minutes longer.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
We rather enjoyed this very nicely. The extra vegys were a nice addition. I'm not a hugh fan of fennel so I was tempted to use rosemary instead, after reading the reviews. I felt it would change the flavour of the dish quite abit so decided to try the fennel, just cut it back to 3/4 tsp. I think secret is in the toasting & grinding of the fennel, we loved it. I used homemade marinara sauce (#256373 from Potluck) which had great flavour also. Other than that I increased the beef & cheeses abit. Thanks for sharing.
This was amazing! Great WW recipe! Used one can of diced tomatoes and one container of marinara sauce. Also used low-fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese. Thanks Robin! :)
I make this recipe all of the time, I leave out the fennel seeds, my family loves it.