1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
You can't go too wrong with a "Southern Living" recipe. This one is from their 1987 Annual Recipe Book. This is pretty basic and is very good as is although, you can doctor it up as well. This makes a great potluck dish and I often take this to friends, family, and neighbors when they require some TLC. Cooking time does not include standing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 (12 ounce) carton small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 1Brown ground beef and garlic in a heavy skillet over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble meat, drain.
- 2Stir in the tomato paste, water, mushrooms, bay leaves, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and oregano.
- 3Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Remove the bay leaves.
- 5Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- 6Combine cottage cheese and sour cream in a medium bowl; stir well.
- 7Layer half each of noodles, meat sauce, and cottage cheese mixture in a greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- 8Sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- 9Repeat layers of noodles, meat sauce and cottage cheese mixture.
- 10Cover and bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- 11Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 12Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty Lasagna (Southern Living)
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.7
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 114.2 mg
- Sodium 1273.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 40.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: