Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
You can't go too wrong with a "Southern Living" recipe. This one is from their 1987 Annual Recipe Book. This is pretty basic and is very good as is although, you can doctor it up as well. This makes a great potluck dish and I often take this to friends, family, and neighbors when they require some TLC. Cooking time does not include standing time.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 (12 ounce) carton small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- Brown ground beef and garlic in a heavy skillet over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble meat, drain.
- Stir in the tomato paste, water, mushrooms, bay leaves, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and oregano.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Combine cottage cheese and sour cream in a medium bowl; stir well.
- Layer half each of noodles, meat sauce, and cottage cheese mixture in a greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers of noodles, meat sauce and cottage cheese mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Thank you so much for this recipe! I had it in the early 90's and have lost it. I'm so grateful to have it again. Everyone loves this lasagna! It is wonderful. I leave out the mushrooms and add a little chedder as well. It is the best!!