I'm currently trying to "Spring Clean" my ever growing cookbook collection so am posting quite a few recipes here for safekeeping, this is one from a Leggo's Cookbook that I loved the sound of.
- 750 g blade steaks, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 220 g champignon mushrooms, drained
- 445 g italian pasta sauce (cooking sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 250 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Sason the flour with salt & pepper & tip into a plastic bag, toss the beef around in the bag until all pieces are coated.
- Melt the butter in a pan and brown the beef over high heat.
- Transfer beef to an oven-proof casserole dish (approx 20cm x30cm).
- Add remaining ingredients to the frypan and stir briskly until it reaches a boil.
- Pour the sauce over the beef, cover dish & bake at 180.C for 1 1/4 hours.
- Meanwhile mix the cheeses together.
- Take the casserole out of the oven and layer the zucchini over the top in a decorative pattern, sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for a further 30-45 minutes.